Once January exams are over, everyone wants to relax and what better way to do that than soak up some winter sun in some of Europe’s best tourist destinations. Wherever you decide to go, please make sure that you check out the latest FCO travel advice and remain ‘Travel Aware’. Here are some of the best, budget places to fly to from the East Midlands Airport this January
- Alicante: Visit the Costa Blanca this winter and stay in one of Spain’s best resorts, such as Benidorm, Torrevieja or Alicante itself. Sample some of the fantastic Spanish cuisine such as paella or tapas and taste some sangria by the beach. With flights each way costing under £15, what’s stopping you basking in the Spanish sun?
- Berlin: Visit Germany’s capital to celebrate the end of exams with return flights for less than £13. Berlin is one of Europe’s most international cities so you can sample a variety of food and drink, and still get traditional English food if you need a taste of home. Explore the Berlin Wall and take a walk around some of the city’s museums.
- Tenerife: Why not go further afield and fly out to the Canary Islands with sun and warmth all year long. The long sandy beaches are lined with bars and restaurants, and there are some fantastic tourist attractions so there is always something to do. There are also world famous water parks and zoos which make it perfect for students to relax and have fun after exams. Plus, return flights are less than £45 which, for a break further afield, is excellent value for money.
- Malta: Enjoy the warmth of the Mediterranean Sea this January with flights for under £15 each way. Explore the island’s beautiful coastal scenery and beaches whilst sampling a variety of the international cuisine that this island has to offer.
- Rome: Go and explore Italy’s capital, known for its beautiful architecture and delicious cuisine. Visit the historic centre and St Peter’s Square to see for yourself. With return flights over winter for under £30, there shouldn’t be anything stopping you flying out there to eat plenty of pasta and pizza!
- Faro: Despite being one of the EMA’s more expensive destinations over the exam season, the Algarve in Portugal is the perfect tourist destination. Faro has plenty of restaurants, beautiful beaches and many historical and cultural places of interest. It is the ideal place to spend a week, with flights for under £40.
The best thing about all of these destinations is that they’re all in the EU which means you don’t have to worry about getting visas; you can just hop on the plane and enjoy some winter sun. Having said that, don’t forget to take your EHIC along in case you need emergency healthcare while you’re away, and make sure that you’ve taken out the appropriate travel insurance. Keep an eye on the FCO’s website, check out their Facebook page or follow @FCOtravel on Twitter for all the latest updates on whichever sunny destination you choose.